Monday, February 27, 2012

Lost my quads somewhere between Zachary's and Siobhan Magnus

Our Sunday sufferfest started at Jeff's house in Centerville.
Me, Jeff, Tim, and fully-winter-bearded Brian.

Plan of keeping on the pedals through a mix of singletrack, dirt roads, pavement.
And we're off!
Pavement to singletrack through Trail of Tears.
Dodged dogs on fireroads through Sandwich side.
Dodged ATVs and motos on the sand and gravel under the powerlines.
Dodged cars crossing 130.
We definitely did not ride through the base, because that would be illegal.
When we got through the base we rode Otis.
Then Crane. Then the Mashpee dump. Then a bit of Crane again. Kept running into the base, saw an F-14, rode around a pond.
Crap, we were lost.
My phone's GPS gave us some idea and we rode some fast dirt roads that Tim knew and we came out across from the Mashpee Ballet (aka Zachary's).
Tim drove a hard pace on roads through Mashpee and Sandwich and into Centerville.  I started drifting off the back of the pack as fatigue set into the legs.
Passed a band of gypsys on Asa Meigs Rd and I swear one of them was Siobhan Magnus. Pretty young lady.
Brian, who knows Siobhan, confirmed the sighting.  She didn't recognize him because of his AmishIslamoIRA beard, or because it was getting dark and we went by at about 20mph in full gear.
We turned onto Race Lane and I officially went off the back on the first hill.
I chased with everything I had, but watched them inch away as Tim's heroic "I'm going to Hawaii in two days" pace sapped every ounce of power from my thighs.
I swerved through the Barnstable airport rotary and dialed it down.
Light pedaled the 5 more minutes to Jeff's.

About 3 hours,40 minutes and around 42 miles of mixed surface.

Drank my recovery drink and massaged my legs on drive home from Jeff's.
Then had two bananas, a spinach omelet, a Magic Hat, 2 Ibuprofen, 2 electrolyte pills, and about a 1/2 gallon of water and I actually recovered pretty darn well.

No comments:

Post a Comment